By Fadia Bint Ismail
How do we protect our Imaan? First we need to establish what Imaan is?
Jibreel (alaihis-salaam), when he (alaihis-salaam) asked the Messenger of Allah
(sallallahu alaihe wa-sallam): “What is Imaan?” He (sallallahu alaihe
wa-sallam) replied: “Imaan is to believe in Allah, His Angels, His Books, His
Messengers, the Last Day and to believe in the Predestination; the good and the
bad.” [Saheeh al-Bukhari and Saheeh Muslim]
So Imaan is to believe in the six articles of faith. Known as Arkan-Al Imaan.
- Belief in God
- Belief in the Angels
- Belief in the Prophets
- Belief in Divine Books
- Belief in the Day of Judgment
- Qadar (Fate)
Now that we have established what Imaan is. We need to understand that Imaan is a combination of Belief and Actions. What does this exactly mean? What things do we use daily?
- The heart
- The Tongue
- Actions of the body
The Heart is the root of Imaan, The tongue is the confession we make and the actions of the body is the external submission to the commands of Allah.
So how do you protect your Imaan? Well through sincere faith in Allah and the six articles of Imaan and protecting your heart, your tongue from sinning.
When you sin it creates a black stain on your heart and it will spread the more you sin. How will you know if your Imaan is weak? what are the symptoms?
- You are sinning. first of all this will hurt you in this Dunyah and the Akhirah
- Your Ibadah, meaning your connection with Allah and your state of affairs in this Dunyah
- Not Performing your Ibadah properly, such as Salaah, Fasting ect…for example if you are making Salaah and your heart is diverting to other distractions and you make Dua, Allah does not listen to this type of Dua. Your Ibadah needs to be sincere and the only way for this to happen is if your heart is sincere.
- laziness in Ibadah, this is characteristics of a Munafiqun.
- When we hear the Quran being recited you want to turn it away and you can not pay attention to any Thikr.
What causes your Imaan to be weak?
- When you keep away from an environment that has Imaan in it.
- Failing to try and learn more about the Deen.
- Living in an environment of Sin.
- Showing off.
Reflect daily on the state of your Imaan. Protect your Imaan. Because you will not reach piety if you do not give from that which you love. If you go through life making Allah less you will bring destruction to yourself, your heart and your Imaan, which encompasses everything. Who you are, What you speak and what you do is what will make or break your Imaan.
Fear Allah the most. Love Allah the Most. Be Sincere. And you will see.