Durood is an invocation Muslim makes by saying specific phrases to send blessings on our Prophet Muhammed (SAW).
Durood has various other names, like Durood Shareef, Salaawat, Salat-un-Nabi. Durood Shareef is the Urdu word meaning blessings and salutations.
As per Qur’an;
Allah and His angels send blessings on the Prophet: O ye that believe! Send ye blessings on him, and salute him with all respect.
Anas ibn Malik narrates that Muhammad said:
He who reads a single Durood upon me, Almighty Allah blesses him ten times, ten of his sins are forgiven, and he is increased ten times in stages (internally).
Abd Allah ibn Mas’ud also narrates that Muhammad said:
On the Day of Qiyamah, the closest to me from among the people will be those who have read the most amount of Durood Shareef”
- For every Durood Shareef that you recite, ten sins are forgiven, ten good deeds are entered into your sheet of actions and ten positions are upgraded.
- Allah showers ten blessings on the man who recites a Durood.
- The first man who will meet Muhammed on the Day of Judgement will be that person who had recited the Durood maximum number of times in his lifetime.
- Those who recite Durood in maximum number will be nearest and dearest to Muhammad in the next world.
- If any one is involved in a difficulty then he must recite countless number of Durood Shareefs.
- Reciting Durood Shareef eradicates poverty and hunger.
- If the Sawaab (meaning: benefit also spelt as Thawaab) of the Durood Shareef is dedicated to another person, then that person will receive the Sawaab, while the Sawaab of the reciter will not be lessened.
- Reciting excessive Durood Shareef brings purity.
- Reciting maximum number of Durood Shareef is full compensation of all sins.
- Any one who recites excessive Durood Shareef in this world will be safe and sound in the next world.
- When a prayer is made to Allah it is never accepted unless praise of Allah Ta’ala and Durood Shareef on Muhammad is first of all recited.
- Those who recite Durood quite often will see Divine Light on the dark Day of Judgement.
- Three persons will be under the cool shade and the favours of Allah Ta’ala on the Doom’s Day. One who kept Muhammad’s Sunnah alive, one who removed difficulty of a fellow being and one who recited maximum number of Durood Shareef in his lifetime.
- When you forget anything and your memory fails to recollect it, then recite Durood, you will remember the forgotten thing.
- Reciting Durood in this world is rewarding in the next.
- The reciter of 10 Duroods in the morning and 10 in the evening will receive the help of Muhammad on the Day of Judgement.
- One who recites Durood Shareef near the shrine of Muhammad is heard by him there and then alone.
- Any one who recites Durood is just as one who purchased a slave and freed him.
- Muhammad said that he himself recites blessings on one who recites Durood on him.
- Any one who wants to meet his Allah with a happy face must recite countless number of Durood Shareef.
- Reward equivalent to a big mountain (Uhad) is given to one who recites one Durood.
- All people will be presented to Muhammad with their habits, natures and distinct manner, so it is obligatory for a man to recite maximum number of Durood.
- Allah is Great and Almighty to forgive all sins of the reciter during the day and night when he recites Durood Shareef.
- If any one meets in a tragedy, he should recite Durood Shareef in countless numbers.
- Reciting Durood is like giving something in charity.
- Reciting maximum number of Durood kills all hardships.
- Recite Durood Shareef in countless number on Friday, as it is presented to me (Muhammad).
- Bad deeds of 200 years (equivalent) are obliterated if a man recites 100 Durood on Friday.
- Anyone who recites Durood will overcome all their troubles.
- If the name of Muhammad is mentioned and one who hears it but does not recite Durood Shareef, understand that he has forgotten the path to Paradise.
- “I pray for all those who recite Durood on me”, said Muhammad.
- If any one recites Durood Shareef from any place, any part of the world from any distance, it actually reaches Muhammad immediately. Allah Ta’ala has appointed several Angels who are given exclusive duty to collect all Durood Shareef and present the same before Muhammad immediately.
- Angels of Allah shower 70 blessings on a man who recites Durood once.
- Whenever you hear the call of prayers (Azaan) you should recite Durood.
- Wherever you are, from any quarter of the world, you must recite Durood as it reaches Muhammad.
- Ablution is not complete if Durood is not recited on it.
- Muhammad said to his wife that any one who hears the name of Muhammad and does not recite Durood on him will not see the beautiful face of Muhammad on the Day of the Judgement.
- Sayyiduna Ali (radi Allahu anhu) reports that Rasoolullah said, “The real miser is he in whose presence I am mentioned and then he fails to recite “Durood” on me”.
- If a person recites 1,000 Durood Shareef daily, he will never die unless he himself sees his place in Heaven with his own eyes.
- The Durood Shareef that is recited by the person is written with a Golden Pen on a Silver tablet by the Angels. The Angels then present this Durood Shareef to Sayyiduna Rasoolullah and proclaim, “O Habeeb of Allah! The son of such and such a person has presented this gift in your majestic court”.
There are many Durood’s that one can recite, A specific one that we recite daily in our Nemaaz is Durood -e-Ibrahimi there are many others and if you go to an Islamic book store you can find many books on Duroods.
Inshallah i hope this will help many Muslims and new Muslims.
Sending blessings and salutations on our Beloved Nabi (SAW) brings Immense rewards and Allah (SWT) will love us and come closer to us.